Making A Home Insurance Claim Guide

Home Insurance

We have created a useful guide to help you through the next steps

In an ideal world, we hope that you won’t need to make a claim with us, but we all know this isn’t always the case. If you should need to contact us to make a claim please rest assured we have a dedicated team ready to help you.

Our UK contact centre is open 24/7 to take your call and we will make the whole process as clear and as quick as possible.

To make life easy, our phone numbers are:

Car insurance   0344 412 2127

Van insurance   0344 412 2127

Home insurance   0344 412 2128

What should I do if I’ve been burgled?

If you have been the victim of burglary, for your safety and to report the crime, please call the police before contacting us. The police may need to visit the property to undertake a forensics examination as soon as possible, so it’s best to ensure that nothing is touched until the police have completed their investigations. Additionally, the police will issue you with a police reference number which you will need when you contact us to proceed with making a claim on your home insurance.

You will then need to call our 24 hour claims helpline on 0344 412 2128 to notify us and we will explain the next steps to you.

If there is damage to any of the entries to your home, rest assured we will arrange for someone to come out to you to make it safe.

What should I do if my house has been flooded?

If your home has been flooded, it’s best to turn the water supply off and call our 24 hour claims helpline on 0344 412 2128 to notify us and we will explain the next steps to you. A couple of key things to note are:

  • Keep receipts for any emergency work you have paid for
  • Don’t instruct any builders, or repair the damage yourself until you have spoken to us

How do I make a claim?

It’s really simple, just call our 24 hour claims helpline on 0334 412 2128.   All we will need initially is your policy number and your name and address, and our team will then be able to help you with your claim.

It’s also useful to have your police reference number to hand if you have one, along with details of the issue and any photos and receipts which may be helpful.

After you have made the initial call to us there are a number of things which will happen next and we will talk through these with you. Depending on the type of claim we have outlined some of these below.

Buildings claims

What happens next?

  • If your property in uninhabitable we will find alternative accommodation for you as soon as possible
  • For some claims a loss adjuster may be asked to visit your property to assess the claim. This is someone who will review the damage and gain any additional information in order for your insurer to determine whether the claim is valid and ensure the amount paid to you is correct
  • Depending on the type of claim your insurer will arrange for the relevant tradespeople (e.g. builders, plumbers etc.) to attend the property and to complete any repairs required
  • If you have tradespeople you would prefer to use we may ask you to provide three quotes and your insurer will advise which company they would prefer you to use

Contents claims

What happens next?

  • If your item can be repaired we will usually advise you to use an approved repairer as notified by your insurer. However if you have someone you prefer to use we may ask you to provide three quotes and your insurer will advise which company they would prefer you to use.
  • If your item is to be replaced you and your insurer will usually agree whether to replace the item with a specific supplier or in some cases they will agree a value for the item with you and pay the funds direct to you
  • If you prefer not to replace an item which has been damaged or stolen your insurer will agree a value with you and pay the funds direct to you

Do I have to make a claim for all incidents?

Not all accidents or incidents will result in a claim being made on your policy. It’s your decision whether you want to claim on your insurance or pay for any damage to your property and/or contents yourself. It may be that depending on the excess on your policy that for some smaller repairs it may be cheaper to pay for them yourself rather than making a claim and paying the excess.

However, you do need to notify us in all cases to ensure that our records are correct and your policy has the correct level of cover.

Need some help? Ask us a question

Hi! If you’ve got a question or need help using our services, just let me know. If I can’t help you myself, I’ll find the best person who can.

Budget Car Insurance

Car Insurance

Budget Home Insurance

Home Insurance

Budget Van Insurance

Van Insurance

Budget Life Insurance

Life Insurance

Need a Budget Van Insurance Quote ?

Budget Insurance offers simple, flexible van insurance whatever level of cover you’re looking for.

We’re currently experiencing a high volume of calls into our contact centre and whilst we are doing our very best to maintain service levels, we ask that you only call our contact centre if absolutely necessary so we can keep our phone lines available  for vulnerable customers and those who don’t have access to online services.

If you need to check any details or make a change to your policy, please  log in to your Self-Service Centre. It will be much quicker for you to make changes to your policy online at the moment. Once logged in, you can also use our Webchat service which is available Monday- Saturday 8am-6pm and Sunday 10am-4pm to make changes, accept or decline your renewal or if you need to let us know about a claim. To log in, please click here.

We also have some other information that may be useful. Click here to read our FAQ’s, and information on what we are doing to support key workers can be found here.