Your guide to commercial van insurance

Whether you’re a florist, carpenter, groundsman or decorator, a van can be a vital asset in your business or job role. Commercial van insurance provides cover for professional tradespeople and could keep your livelihood and its content in the event of an accident.

You’ll typically need to consider commercial van insurance if you use your vehicle for any of the following:

  • Sole traders e.g. builders or carpenters
  • Couriers
  • Transportation to and from work

What is commercial van insurance?

Commercial van insurance is a specialist type of insurance, there are two types of cover and you’ll need to get the most relevant to your use of the vehicle:

  • Carriage of own goods –  This will keep you covered if you use your van to carry business goods, including the tools of your trade.
  • Haulage (carriage of goods for hire and reward) – this type of insurance is for when you’re carrying someone else’s goods for payment.

Vans that weigh up to 3.5 tonnes (light commercial vehicles) are typically covered, if your vehicle exceeds this weight then you’ll need a different type of cover, such as truck insurance.

Can I insure a fleet of vans together?

Business owners may want to insure multiple vans at the same time, and you’ll be pleased to know that it’s possible! This can save you a great deal of time and be a more cost-effective option then getting separate policies for each of your vans.

To do this you will need to get a fleet van insurance policy, another type of specialist van insurance. Fleet insurance allows you to cover all of the vehicle’s drivers for any of the vans, all under the same policy, making the process of managing insurance much easier.

What commercial van insurance options are available?

In terms of level of cover, commercial van insurance is no different from car insurance. You can choose between the same three options:

  • Third party – this is the lowest level of insurance available in the UK and provides cover to another person, property or vehicle in the event of an accident.
  • Third party fire and theft – The next step up from third party insurance, this option also covers your van for theft and fire.
  • Comprehensive – the highest level of cover available, this includes third party fire and theft and also protects you as a driver and your van. It’s useful to bear in mind that some insurance providers may offer you extras as standard such as windscreen and breakdown cover.

To find and more and get a quote, visit the Budget van insurance page.

Share this article
Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Please note this website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent for cookies to be used. For further information on use of cookies (and how to disable them) please refer to our cookie policy.