What types of van insurance product are available?

There are three main types of van insurance available in the UK which offer various levels of protection. You’ll need to check with your insurance provider what level of cover your policy offers you.

The three types of van insurance that we offer at Budget are:


This is the highest level of insurance available within the UK. Comprehensive insurance provides cover if your van is stolen, damaged by fire or accidentally damaged.

You’re covered if you are involved in a road traffic accident and you’re also covered for claims made against you by other people for bodily injury or damage, made by your vehicle to their property.

Third party; fire and theft

This level of cover provides you with protection from everything that’s included in a third party policy (see below), plus fire damage, the theft of your vehicle and damage to your van caused during the theft of it.

Third party only

This is the minimum level of cover that you are legally required to have in the UK. Third party insurance provides you with cover for; liability for the injury of others (including passengers), damage to someone else’s property and liability whilst towing a caravan or trailer but this does not cover damage to the driver’s own vehicle.