Changing your home insurance policy details with Budget Insurance
When can I make changes to my home insurance policy?
You can make changes to your home insurance policy at any time and you don’t need to give us notice, but please note that you can’t backdate any changes. Any changes you make will be effective immediately.
Alternatively you can specify a date in the future when you want the change to happen, however, you can’t make any future amendments if it’s after the expiry date of your policy.
What changes do I need to tell you about?
If there are any changes to the information that you gave us when you took out your current home insurance policy, you must tell us immediately. If you don’t, your policy could be rejected or become invalid, which could result in you not being insured.
Please tell us if any of the following details in your policy documents change:
- You are changing your postal address or the address of the insured property
- You are making any changes to your home, for example building a conservatory
- You want to change the amount of your insurance
- You intend to run a business from your home and are not currently insured for this
- Your home is likely to be empty for longer than you originally stated when you took out the policy
- Anyone insured on the policy changes their occupation
Please note that this is not an exhaustive list and if you’re not sure what to tell us about, please just contact us to check.
What will happen if my details change?
Once you’ve told us about any changes to your home insurance policy, we’ll make any adjustments to your premium. Sometimes we might have to refer your changes to your insurance company, but we’ll let you know when they’ve made a decision.
New policy documents will be produced to confirm that the changes have been made. If the changes have affected your premium, or if you’ve added any additional products, we’ll also issue an updated Policy Payment Arrangement document to confirm the new payment details.
- If the premium changes and there are still instalments left to pay, we’ll adjust your payments to this new premium
- If the premium was paid in one lump sum, or if there aren’t any more instalments left to pay, we’ll arrange for a refund or for you to make a single payment
- We may need to charge an amendment fee for some mid-term home insurance policy changes
- You don’t need to pay any amendment fees if you make any changes to your home insurance policy within 14 days of receiving the initial policy
- Any changes you make by email will not be considered as complete unless you receive confirmation from us.