The UK’s top 10 parking bugbears - October 2016
(sample size: 1,000 drivers aged 18+)
1. People who take up more than one space (69%)
2. People parking too close to my car (49%)
3. People who damage my car and don’t leave a note (47%)
4. Spaces that are too small (40%)
5. People who open their door carelessly risking damage to my car (40%)
6. People parking in disabled/mother and baby spaces unnecessarily (36%)
7. Driving round tight corners in multi-storey car parks (25%)
8. People leaving trolleys in parking spaces (25%)
9. Parking meters that don’t give change (22%)
10. Someone steals the last space in the car park just as I’m about to drive into it (15.5%)
What damage has ever been caused to any of your current or previous cars while in a car park?
(sample size: 1,000 drivers aged 18+ who have had their car damaged in a car park)
- A minor scratch or dent while stationery (77%)
- Someone reversed into me (33%)
- My bumper got damaged (32%)
- Scraped it on a pillar in a multi-storey car park (24%)
- I hit it on an obstacle (pillar, trolley, bollard etc) (19%)
- An accident while in motion (18%)
- I reversed into someone (12%)
Asked what they did in response to the damage, our 1,000 drivers whose cars had been damaged responded as follows:
- Just 15% claimed on their car insurance
- Well over a third (37.5%) chose not to get the damage repaired at all in order to save money
- A further third (36%) paid for repairs themselves to avoid making a claim on their car insurance
About the research
The research was carried out by One Poll on behalf of Budget Insurance. 1,000 UK drivers aged 18+ were asked to rank their top parking bugbears. 1,000 UK drivers aged 18+ who had had their car damaged in a car park were asked what they did in response to the damage. Fieldwork was carried out from 13-17 October 2016.
About Budget Insurance
To date, Budget Insurance has helped almost 3 million customers across the country find great value home, car, van and life insurance products. For motor and home insurance policies Budget works with a UK network of leading insurers and for Life Insurance policies with a selected insurer so customers can be sure they’re getting great cover, at a great price. Budget Insurance’s comprehensive car and van insurance has been awarded a 5 Star Rating by Defaqto
About BGL Group
BGL Group is focused on becoming a world class digital distributor and serves more than 8.5 million customers in the UK. The Group owns brands including comparethemarket.com, one of the UK’s top price comparison sites; Junction, the insurance partnership business; Beagle Street.com, the online life insurance provider; Frontline, owner of insurance brands Dial Direct and Budget Insurance; and Les.Furets.com, the French price comparison site.
BISL Ltd, part of the BGL Group, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered Address: Pegasus House, Bakewell Road, Orton Southgate, PE2 6YS. Registered in England no 3231094.
For further information please contact: