cancelling your policy
If you want to cancel your car insurance policy, please make sure you read and understand the following points. Don’t forget that it’s an offence to drive a car without insurance.
- You can cancel at any time during the life of your car insurance policy before the expiry date. Remember that cancelling a Direct Debit instruction doesn’t mean that the car insurance policy has been cancelled as well.
- You can cancel a policy by telling us at any time before the expiry date and it will be cancelled immediately. Or, you can ask for it to be cancelled on a specific date in the future.
- We’ll always send you a letter to confirm that your car insurance policy has been cancelled.
- If you cancel your car insurance policy following a claim, or any incident that results in a claim, you will still have to pay the full premium.
- When you cancel, you need to send all Certificates of Motor Insurance back to us. If they’ve been lost, stolen or destroyed, we’ll send you a declaration form which you must sign and send back to us. It is an offence under the Road Traffic Act if you don’t return the certificates or the signed declaration form.
- We won’t refund any premiums until we’ve received either the Certificates of Motor Insurance or the signed declaration form, or if the cover note has expired.
- Under the Financial Services (Distance Marketing) Regulations 2004, you are entitled to a proportional refund of your premium if you cancel within 14 days of receiving your policy documents. We will pay the refund when we receive the Certificates of Motor Insurance or signed declaration form. You might have to pay a cancellation fee and you won’t be entitled to a refund for any fees and charges you’ve already paid.
- If you cancel your car insurance policy after 14 days, we’ll charge you for the time that you’ve had insurance cover. You will also have to pay a cancellation fee.
- When you cancel your car insurance policy, additional products such as Breakdown Assistance, Motor Legal Protection, Guaranteed Replacement Car or Keycare will also be cancelled at the same time. We will only refund premiums for additional products if you cancel your car insurance policy within 14 days of receiving your policy documents. Any additional products which are not linked to your car insurance policy such as Personal Accident Cover will continue to be in force.
- Refunds are paid back into the account that the premiums were paid from unless the account holder has died. In that case, we will need confirmation in writing of the name of the executor of the deceased person’s estate so that a cheque can be sent to them.
- We will issue proof of no claims discount when all of the premiums or fees owed have been paid.